My name is Kirstin and I live in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada with my awesome husband and our two dogs. Whitehorse is beautiful, very cold in the winter which takes up half the year, and has some amazing people in it. I work in EMS and love my job.
I started this blog to write about my running and weight loss. I wanted to be able to look back down the road and see how far I’ve come and remember my adventures along the way. It’s turned out to be about all of life and now it’s not just for me but my tens and tens of readers as well :).
In summer of 2016 I discovered a love of motorcycling which I could not have done had I not started on fitness a year before. I love to ride and you’ll see a lot about that on my blog also.
I have two major goals:
- Run the Disney Princess Half Marathon in Feburay 2017
- Lose 1oo lbs in the process
Running with me through thick and thin is James, my Jedi Master, trainer, motivator, and friend. I wouldn’t be making such amazing progress without him. You can read more about him here.
Here are a few photos of me.
This one is from October 2015, 2.5 months into this thing and with 95lbs left to lose.
July 2016. Standing on the Hubbard Glacier with Cameron and our friend Lyndon.
My Bike, Lara. I love her.
Coming up on the finish of the Terry Fox run in September 2015 with my friend Cindy, still with 98lbs left to lose.
One of my favorites from 2009 shortly before I moved to the Yukon.
With my amazing husband Cameron on one of our first dates in 2009.
Reading back through my blog I’ve discovered a few things about me. I’m prone to a little exaggeration, a lot of italics and quite a few of these…. I also like to say things three times. A few people have told me that I write how I speak which is kinda cool. I am trying to share both my successes and failures because that is really how things are, and I want to be as real as possible.
Nerd-fessions; things I love:
- Music – I play guitar, piano(ish), and trumpet. I sometimes try to play the beautiful mandolin Cameron bought me, and I sing too. I need music when running by myself, or blogging, or working. Music is in my soul.
- Motorcycling! In 2016 I discovered that motorcycles are amazing! I ride a Yamaha FJ09 named Lara.
- Old timey things – old movies, classic books, period shows. If it’s old timey, I’m in.
- Reading! I love reading. I’ll read most anything but I particularly love nerd fantasy and historical fiction. One of my favorite books is The Name of the Wind… and its sequel… and I’m sure the third one when it finally comes out will make the list also. Read it! I also read the entire Anne of Green Gables series every year. It falls into the reading and old timey categories. My mom got me the series when I had the flu as a kid and I fell in love. I still have the same falling apart books she bought me that I keep taping back together.
- Knitting. I’m a badass knitter… in the winter. It’s a winter “sport” around here.
- Video Games! I’m slightly (but not too…) ashamed to admit that I love video games. Particularly Final Fantasy XIV and Assassins Creed. My PS4 gamertag is QueenAnnesRevng. Look me up if you’re a fellow nerd.
- My friends. The really good ones are few, but they are mighty and I’m fiercely loyal to them. They rock my fricking face off.
I’m sure I’ll have more to add to my nerd-fessions but for now that’s enough about me.